Glory to His Name, Not Ours


Great piece on some Christian heavyweights passing on the Glory to Him from Church for Men:

"Some of our greatest luminaries in church history," writes Dean Merrill, a contributor to this week's devotional readings, "weren't cheerleaders for the segments of the church with which they've become identified. Martin Luther said once, 'I ask that men make no reference to my name, and call themselves not Lutherans, but Christians.' Two hundred years later, John Wesley said much the same: 'I should rejoice if the very name [Methodist] might never be mentioned more, but be buried in eternal oblivion.' And a hundred years after that, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, perhaps the greatest Baptist preacher who ever lived, said, 'I say of the Baptist name, let it perish, but let Christ's name last forever. I look forward with pleasure to the day when there will not be a Baptist living.'"

No comments: