10/12/07 - Life Journal - Happy Re-Birthday to Me!


They found written in the law how the Lord had commanded through Moses that the sons of Israel should live in booths during the feast of the seventh month.
Nehemiah 8:14


The Jews were rediscovering their past and the traditions of their ancestors as the law was being read to them at the temple dedication. The feast of booths commemorated the time when they were led out of Egypt and as a homeless nation lived in temporary structures.

The only custom like this I have is Thanksgiving, but over the years it's become another excuse for us Americans to drink beer, overeat and watch football. Then we prepare our hearts for the celebration of our Savior's birth by blowing a few months salary on "Black Friday". I declare a Feast of Salvation. Why do we celebrate our birth that brought us into this world with the only guarantee being our own death? Should we not celebrate the day of our rebirth? Let us party with thanks on the day that conquered death and brought us into our new bodies with the guarantee of eternal life!

Lord I love you with all I have and give you the glory you seek. I gotta rearrange my priorities in this world and celebrate the blessing of salvation you have given me.