10/03/07 - Life Journal - Serving Two Masters


"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
Luke 16:13


Like the bad manager that relieved his debtors of some of what he was owed so that he would have friends and a place waiting for him when he was fired and hit rock bottom, Jesus tells us in verse 9 to "use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings".

Why do we store up our blessings? Why do we blow them on more, more, more? It will all rust and turn to dust. The poor of the earth will be there with me, standing before His throne in judgement. Will they sneer at me? Will they condemn me as a good talker but a terrible steward who wasted my wealth on materials instead of people? I am so guilty of trying to serve two masters..."I'll give next week but I need to do ---- first" or "I really need that new ---- to help be serve Him better". I really don't think Jesus meant to use our wealth to buy friends or influence here on earth but to prove our love of Him and His creation. How amazing would (will?) it be when I reach the gates of Heaven and there is a mulitude of people I never met cheering me on because my life or resources reached them on earth in ways I never knew?

Lord burn away the crippling hold that money and material desire has on my heart. I only want to serve You, only you can give the true riches of Eternity, teach me to use my earthly possessions to increase Your Kingdom here on earth.

2 comments:

Don Howard said...

What a great prayer! Thank you for your transparency and describing what most of us deal with in materialistic America, circa 21st century.

Mike said...

Hey Chris. Great Subject. The beauty of heaven is that nobody from here who is there will judge you. I think we are going to be our own worst critics. (Much like some of us are now).

It does make you re-evaluate what it is we're doing and where we're putting our priorities.