10/19/07 - Life Journal - Brother from Another Mother


About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

Acts 10:9-15


This vision preceded the visit from the attendants of Cornelius the Centurion that requested Peter to go to his house in Caesarea. The Spirit tells Peter to go with them and they travel to Cornelius' house. Once inside Peter says to the group, "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection." (verses 28,29)

This chapter should be a sword slashing through any bigotry or hatred in my heart. Do I want to be standing there like Peter on the roof, waiting in judgement before Him and be accused of calling any of God's creation impure? We will have disagreements and their will be times of intense anger towards others (say.........muslim extremists intent on destroying our country) but this chapter shows us that all are God's children and we can't let that anger manifest itself into hatred. I'm not saying it's not incredibly difficult to do but we are to use the Gospel of Jesus Christ as our "compass", showing us the way, and the Spirit as our "thermometer", keeping us cool in temper so that His love can disarm our enemies. John MacArthur points out that it's a spiritual war we are engaged in as Christ followers, not a carnal conflict. Can love bring us together with all of His creation? Only through Him.

Lord, keep my head on straight. I definitely can't do it myself. Help me bring those that don't know your love to experience the freedom we have in You.

No comments: