Spirtual Infant


I've been a whining cry baby! There, I admit it. Before going on this planting journey I used to complain all the time about the "light weight" messages at my old church (I'm sorry, I was wrong, you know who you are) and how I wasn't being fed. My pride told me it was my spiritual maturity that was crying out for more when in reality I now see it was me in my infancy crying out because I wasn't using my brain to feed myself. Everything I needed was in the bible, thousands of great writings from Kingdom past and present and most importantly, communing with God.

One of the biggest blessings of Journey Church was being introduced to Wayne Cordeiro's formula for daily devotions. It opened up an entire world for me and have been feeding, no gorging myself ever since. Added to this, I usually have 2 to 3 books on the burner also. Right now one happens to be "Desiring God" by John Piper! Yes, more food!

One piece of advice I have is to set a side some time for fun brainless reading also or you'll blow a circuit. Lee Child has some incredible books. Another bit is to expand your reading outside the realm of theological study. I've learned reams of information with some great "historical fiction". Herman Wouk (must read The Hope, 1993, and The Glory, 1994) and Leon Uris (must read Exodus, 1958 and Trinity, 1976) are two of the masters of this genre. If you're looking for american history anything you pick up by Stephen Ambrose is a sure thing.

Anyway, back to the subject. As I am now becoming a self-feeder my next goal is to prepare myself to feed others. I'm starting out slowly using this blog. Hopefully someone is getting something out of my journal entries, but if not, it has been great practice for me as I move into spiritual adulthood.

Stages of Spiritual Maturation (thanks to Dave Ferguson)

SPIRITUAL INFANCY = Getting Fed.
SPIRITUAL ADOLESCENCE = Feeding Yourself
SPIRITUAL ADULTHOOD = Feeding Others

1 comment:

Esther said...

I have enjoyed reading this article and others you have wrote, you really put yourself into what you write.
I will come back and read more.
God Bless you
Esther