11/7/07 - Life Journal - What's your Spiritual Age?


I am young in years,
and you are aged;
therefore I was timid and afraid
to declare my opinion to you.
I said, 'Let days speak,
and many years teach wisdom.'
But it is the spirit in man,
the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand.
It is not the old who are wise,
nor the aged who understand what is right.
Therefore I say, 'Listen to me;
let me also declare my opinion.'

Job 32:6


This young dude, Elihu, was hanging aroud these guys and biting his tongue. He didn't want to say anything, deferring to his elders until he couldn't take it anymore. He basically said, "Listen, I'm not as old in years as you guys but from my understanding wisdom is breathed into man from God, into those willing and listening to hear it and receive it. So basically, shut up for a second and let me speak my peace."

There are some really wise young men in the ranks of those leading the charge in Christianity and unfortunately the converse is also true. We have an awesome pastor at our church that is very wise in his theology and grasp of scripture in spite of his youth. Some people might have a problem with this and it's a shame if they won't give him a chance and hear him out before drawing any conclusions. He's ten years younger than me but he has ages more in knowledge since he has been living in the spirit longer and studying His word longer.

The other side of this issue is people like me. I was introduced to God and accepted Jesus into my life a mere 7 years ago. I'm a 36 year old infant, but that doesn't mean I should hide my opinions for fear of being scoffed at or belittled. The more time I'm spending with Him the more of His wisdom I'm acquiring and the more receptive I am to His teaching. Too many people take age or length of service into consideration without hearing what people have to say.

Father open my eyes to your Word, put blinders over my eyes to block out any prejudice's I may have and ready my mind to receive Your wisdom as you feel fit to give it to me.

2 comments:

Rob Singleton said...

Great post and blog.

Just curious… I wonder if you ever have the same frustration as I do? As a pastor of a large church, I have close to 1,000 readers a day on my blog, but still have a very low authority on Technorati. I’ve learned that this is because I don’t have enough links to my site.

Why does this matter? Because I want to start reaching out to people beyond just the church, and to do that I need to get this blog up higher on the search engines.

I was wondering if you would be willing to put in a link exchange with me at www.robsingleton.net. If so, please send me an email to robtherev@gmail.com showing me where you've linked it and I will do the same.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Pastor Rob Singleton

Drummer Chris said...

Cool deal, anything to help spread His word......