Piece of Cake


If every week could go this smooth..........

A few weeks back I was informed that Joe, our extremely talented worship leader, was going to be gone for the week. His sister was getting married and we knew it was coming. Honestly, he needed the time off, his dedication has been nothing but outstanding. No problem, I'd figure something out.

First call. Kyle Ashcroft. Kyle's another music savant that goes to a local high school and can fill in for any instrument we need and as leader. I haven't asked but wouldn't be surprised if he could jam on the bagpipes or accordion if need be. Kyle had filled in for Joe before and I knew if he was available that he'd do what he could to help out. Steeeeriiiiike One. Turns out the worship pastor and his wife at our old church were going on a trip to the Middle East to lead a group in song as they visited the various sites and Kyle had graciously stepped in.

Okay, no problem.

Another gifted singer, Tim Stevens, is always there for us and I was sure he could do it. He had some question on whether he'd be able but was checking on it. In the meantime, a teen at church, Alyssa jumped at the chance and volunteered. So, while I was waiting on an answer from Tim I gave the shot to her. She's sung for us before and I have all the confidence in the world in her. The days go by..........

Oh, did I mention that neither Tim, nor Alyssa play guitar. Gulp.... Andy came through with the suggestion of using another teen we knew, Brittany. Turns out she's pretty stinking good on the acoustic, so we have it nailed. It took two, possible three people but we have the replacements for Joe.

As we get closer it's becoming clear that Tim might not be able to make it and I really didn't want to throw Alyssa to the wolves by herself so I come up with the obvious solution, I'll sing a few of the songs...... while drumming..... and no, I had never led worship before. No worries, I got the set together and started working on the songs I'd sing. After going through them for a few days, I was feeling pretty confidant.

Until practice.....

Let me back up a bit. Normally we practice at Joe's studio but with him busy with family that wasn't going to be an option. This wasn't too much of a problem, we'd use the youth space at our offices. Our Thursday practice ended up being postponed due to transportation issues so we moved it back to Friday. As I was pulling into the drive of the house that serves as our church offices I noticed something peculiar. The door to the portion that we share and is sometimes used by the church we are renting from is open. Okay, cool, maybe Adam is here. It was then that I saw women carrying in platters of food. Outstanding, the people from the church were using the space for a baby shower, Friday nights practice is cancelled.

Fast forward to Saturday, the day before Alyssa and I were leading worship. While setting up the sound, the absence of Joe is becoming even more apparent. Getting the chords straight for the songs is our first set back. Some of the songs are written with the guitarist using a capo. Problem is transposing them so Andy knows what to play on the bass. Next.... Alyssa is struggling with some of the keys and really needed us to change so she'd be in a more comfortable octave.... again, no Joe.

Now for my lesson in humility. A combination of factors were working against me, from my lack of experience drumming and singing at the same time, to a not so minor case of nervousness. If I got the song kicked off vocally my hands and feet forgot what to do and if the drumming was going straight my vocals froze up. I couldn't even remember the proper note to start the songs! Now a bit embarrassed, angry and worried for the service I was completely at a loss. What can I possibly do the night before church?

Alyssa ducked into the other room and made a phone call. I didn't think anything of it until she came back and said, "Tiffany will sing tomorrow, she knows the words to everything and has the voice for the songs." I had played with her before when I used to drum for the youth group CORE. Honestly, I was pretty psyched because she really does have a great voice.

Once arriving home and discussing the adventures with Sheri the phone rang, "Hey Chris, it's Tim, you've been trying to reach me?" Actually...........YES! Turns out he'd also be available for the morning. So now I'm pumped and thinking about how we're going to run through the entire set before the service. To top things off we get a call from Adam stating that they'd been out late at the USF football game and we're going to push set up back an hour. I hate pressure, pressure sucks.

Sunday morning. The stage is set and the musicians are filtering in. Because of the late start I'm still setting my kit and haven't entered the words into LiveWorship. Deal with it Chris.... We're ready to go when Brittany gives us our last little surprise, "Does anyone have the chords?" Wonderful............Andy......go make copies....what's that...you don't have the chords for "Came to the Rescue"........well will figure them out..........ok..........done. Practice commences, everthing's going great. Sure, they're some hiccup's with the endings and arrangements but we get it done. PHEW, time to relax.....

Crap! I gotta type the songs into LiveWorsip.

(type,type,delete,type,type,delete,type,done)

Now, deep breath, relax, coffee....WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S 10:15!

We're on stage and the timer clicks to zero. The opening notes to "Trading My Sorrows" thump out of Andy's bass and it happens.....Worship was Awesome! The Spirit took charge like usual and drew everyone into our songs and hopefully led them to a place where they could spend time in thanks and truly praise Him.

Piece of Cake!

No comments: