11/27/07 - Life Journal - Give Me Barrabas


The governor again said to them, "Which of the two do you want me to release for you?" And they said, "Barabbas." Pilate said to them, "Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?" They all said, "Let him be crucified!"
Matthew 27:21,22


As was tradition at the Passover feast, Pilate offered up a prisoner to be released for the crowd. Jesus or Barrabas. Jesus, the Messiah they had been waiting for, or Barrabas, the notorious, murderous prisoner. Here the fear of losing rank caught up with the priests and they persuaded the crowd to have Barrabas get the reprieve. Jesus? "Let Him be crucified!"

Pretty harsh but all according to God's overall plan for us. Jesus would be crucified and ALL sin, past, present and future would be upon Him all at once. This choice made by the Jews hit me as one I make every single day. Whenever I use my own free will, to consciously sin, I declare "Give me Barrabas!" Another sin is then piled upon the suffering Christ, forced to sacrifice himself for my selfishness. I might has well be chanting along, "Let Him be Crucified". Why am I so weak? How can I add to the Father's disgust as He looks upon His Son and sees only my sin?

Father, how can I not see this? How does the image of Christ crucified not fill my vision when tempted into sin? More proof that I'm worthless without you. Thank you for Your undeserved mercy You have for me.

No comments: