11/17/07 - Life Journal - Gotta be Cruel to be Kind


As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting.
2 Corinthians 7:9


This thought is tossin and turning in Pauls head. ....I'm sorry I grieved you but I don't regret it but I do regret it but only for a little while did I regret it.......

Got it?

It's hard to be truthful, to discipline, to point out short comings. Sometimes you just have to clench your fists and be blunt. It probably will hurt some people's feelings, but if it is done out of love and a true desire for the betterment of the person it HAS to be done. Through their grieving, or more likely being ticked off at you, they might just take a look in the mirror and recognize what they couldn't. Anyone that is a parent knows exactly what this is all about. It's not an question of if, but when is your child you love so much going to run off into their room screaming that they hate you at the top of their lungs. It hurts! But I guarantee you this, if your kids aren't getting upset at you every now and then, you're NOT doing something you're supposed to be. Parenting them! I have to put my feelings aside no matter who I'm dealing with, if I have any love at all or concern for their future life here or their eternal life there.

Lord give me the strength to be a compass for my family and those around me, even though my own compass is way off and couldn't find north if I was standing on the north pole..........

You've gotta be
Cruel to be kind in the right measure,
Cruel to be kind it's a very good sign,
Cruel to be kind means that I love you,
Baby, you've gotta be cruel to be kind.

Nick Lowe "Cruel to be Kind" 1979


No comments: