Maxine and God




Maxine was driving down the street in a sweat because she had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place.

Looking up toward heaven, she said, 'Lord, take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I will go to church every Sunday for the rest of my life and give up swearing and and tequila .'

Miraculously, a parking place appeared .

She looked up again and said, 'Never mind. I found one.'


Ha ha, great joke right? Not so funny when I look inside myself. Little things like this happen every single day and I write them off as coincidences, no big deal. Green lights all the way to work, elevator there when you really need it, that phone call you've been waiting for, just enough milk in the morning for breakfast and yes, a parking spot right up front. God does all these little things in our lives and how often do I stop and give Him a few props? UH, never.

This is one area where I need to take a lesson from Sheri. She's handin out little "Thank You Jesus'" all day long. It shows the depth of her personal relationship with God the Father and Jesus that I'm not even close to experiencing.

Back to Maxine, how many times have I said over the years, "God, if only you'd ______, I promise I'll never ______ again"? Every one has done it, and everyone has forgotten about it. I'm the little kid promising to do something I should be doing anyway to get something and in return give nothing of what I promised. Thank God He's a little more resolute in his promises, huh?

No comments: