1/10/08 - Life Journal - My Birthright for a Bowl of Soup?


Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."

"Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"

But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.

Genesis 25:31-33


Esau was exaggerating a bit here. Sure he was beat and "famished" but dying? Whatever he was feeling, with a little prodding from his clever little brother he traded his birthright for a bowl of soup! Seems silly but what would you say to someone who traded a ten minute high, or adulterous/premarital pleasure, or a few hours of risky thrill gambling away their savings or whatever for their eternal salvation? Or even trusting your own intelligence thinking you've got it made, you've done it on your own this far, who needs God?

I make decisions similar in consequence to Esau's way to often. Thank God He takes me back, seriously, talk about prodigal son syndrome. I think I have become the poster boy for a new spiritual disease. P.S.S. Unfortunately there are millions of people that don't have this relationship with the Father. That's my job, my part of the covenant, the only way I can even come close to repaying for the Gift of grace.

Father thank you with my life and for my life. I'm a pitiful witness for you but I'm working on it!

No comments: