1/16/08 - Life Journal - Oh, for the Integrity of Joseph


The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a successful man...
Genesis 39:2


This is the overriding theme of the next 3 chapters. Joseph is constantly getting a raw deal. His brothers want to kill him, he's sold into slavery, he's accused of attempted rape and thrown into jail and then forgot about for 2 years. So what does He do about it? He continues his life as a man of integrity and of God. Because of this the Lord was constantly with Him. His brother talks the rest into not killing him, he's sold to a wealthy man that sees his value as a leader, he's put in charge of the prison, he's given the gift of dream interpretation which eventually leads him to being the second in command of all of Egypt! Out of his pitfalls, literally pits if you count the first his brothers threw him into and second the one where he was kept in prison, God raises him to positions of increasingly greater importance. All the while Joseph points all his gifts and successes back to Him that provided.

And I let the sound of the alarm clock ruin my day? I've been given blessings on top of blessings and still I act the role of spoiled kid to indulgent Father. How do I respond to his bounty? Great family? more work. Promotion? more work. Gift of music? more work. Position of leadership at work and church? more work. Bigger, more beautiful home? more work. Man, I'm a wreck! My answeres to the above should be HALLELUJAH, THANK YOU GOD, I'M NOT WORTHY, YOU ARE AWESOME, WHAT CAN I DO TO THANK YOU, YOU'RE AWESOME.

Father, I know I break your heart with my response to your blessings yet they keep coming. You are awesome, thank you for your neverending forgiveness.

1 comment:

Sean Sims said...

Thanks Chris, a very welcome and needed reminder in all of our lives. I know it is so very easy for me to grumble and groan about the things on my plate but where could I be without those things?