2/7/08 - Life Journal - Extinguish the Flame


The fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it; it shall not go out. The priest shall burn wood on it every morning, and he shall arrange the burnt offering on it and shall burn on it the fat of the peace offerings. Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out.
Leviticus 6:12,13


The word that popped out at me was CONTINUALLY! The Israelites were in a never ending cycle of sin, offering, sin, offering, sin, offering...... The battle was constant and all they had was the hope of a future Savior to rescue them from this struggle.

But then that Savior came and they rejected him. What? Huh? After thousands of years of prayer, waiting, prophecy and hope the time arrives and God gives His Son to them and they're like, nope, don't believe it, can't be. But thank God that was His plan. The rejected stone became the cornerstone. His grace was passed on to the Gentiles and is the reason I'm sitting here typing this. It's the reason I can be assured of my future with Him. It's the reason I don't have a fire constantly burning to cleanse my sin. His blood washed me once and for all.

Father thank you for Your grace you continuously pour out on me. And for Your Son, who came to be my substitute, for He knew I could never meet Your righteousness, no matter how many bulls I laid before Him.

1 comment:

Bill Martin's Personal Ramblings said...

Great post, Chris! Your reading of Leviticus shows how relevant the Hebrew Scriptures are for Christian faith and life. Thank God that the One who knew no sin was willing to be made sin for us (in his sacrificial death).

I'm using the Life Journal too, but offline. Can you tell me where the link to the online journal can be found?