2/26/08 - Life Journal - Glory Be to God


Then Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, "Hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?" And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock. And the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not believe in me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them."

Numbers 20:10-12


Moses veered from God's directions a little here with dire consequences. First, listen to his words, "shall WE bring water....", like Aaron and Moses could draw water from a rock. Second, what's with the theatrics of striking the rock twice? More showmanship, implying to the people that he, not God, was the source of their good fortune. Just a little bit of pride slipping into Moses cost him plenty, "...therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them."

Might look a little silly but in reality every breath we take is reason enough to get on our knees and point to the heavens like a pro football player after a touchdown. Everything I have is from Him. Everything I have that I am able to bless someone else with is from Him. Whenever I hear, "Hey, check Chris out, he's done alright for himself" (happens at least once a.........never, but if it did) I should shout back, "I've done nothing except receive gifts from Him!" Great family, glory be to God. Nice house, glory be to God. Awesome playing today, glory be to God.

Father, you are awesome. Help me not receive praise to myself but reflect it back to You.

No comments: