12/12/07 - Life Journal - The New Covenant


For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
Hebrews 7:12


The changing of the priesthood from the Levites to the one who would would be priest forever, Jesus Christ, signaled the beginning of God's new covenant with His people and the changing of the law. There was nothing wrong with the old law, Jesus said He didn't come to abolish it but fulfill it. This new covenant gave us a path of atonement that the old never could. As our high priest Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice of self to free us from our sins and ultimate death.

What's my duty in this new covenant? Jesus himself tells us, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." The first seems easy enough but my selfish mind gets in the way. I put all sorts of man-made idols before Him and it's a battle I'll likely never win until being perfected in Him. The second is even trickier. Put it this way. If everything I ever do for myself, everything; clothing, shelter, nourishment, entertainment, etc., I also equally do for someone else, I believe that alone would satisfy Jesus' meaning behind this commandment. I got a lot of work to do!

Jesus help me! Can this possibly be done? Put it on my heart, burn it in my mind.

No comments: