9/22/07 - Life Journal - Blind Faith


When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
Luke 5:4,5

While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."
Luke 5:12

When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.
Luke 5:19

After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. "Follow me," Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.
Luke 5:27


In this one chapter we read about some people who showed amazingly blind faith when their few minutes on earth with Jesus took place. First, Simon (Peter), who is from what we know of a pretty competent fisherman. Now this dude who He has probably known His whole life as the carpenter's kid is telling Him how to fish! He obey's and reaps great results!

Next Jesus comes across a leper who immediately fall's to his face and doesn't ask, "If you can...", but "If you're willing...". He had no doubt that Jesus could do this but left it up to His will. Realize this was most likely the first time he had ever seen Jesus though almost positively had heard the news.

The next example differs in that it is the faith of friends, not the stricken himself, that catches the attention of our Savior. These guys knew that if they could just get their friend an audience with Jesus he would be healed! Unbeknownst to them, He was so taken by their faith before even considering the paralytic He forgives them of their sins! More fruits of faith!

Finally we come to Levi (Matthew), a hated tax collector, taking money from his own people to give to the Roman overseers. When Jesus tells him to "Follow Me", something in His presence convicts Matthew to drop everything and step out in faith and follow.

People today may say, "Sure, it was easy for them, Jesus was right there with them, how could they not believe?" But did they have the Holy Spirit with them? Did they have the New Testament records of the remainder of His ministry? Did they see Him crucified and risen? I have all of this but still just stick my toe in the water instead of jumping in the deep end! I can read and study all I want and pompously flaunt my knowledge while committing sinful pride, and worse, skepticism. Why do I feel the need to keep proving the truth to myself over and over again. We could all use a little more of the faith of a child, myself especially.

Lord, strip me of my arrogance, purge my mind of all the worthless debate on doctrine and practice, break me down to nothing and leave me with a child like faith.

No comments: