9/12/07 - Life Journal - Faith and the Furnace?


He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

Daniel 3:25


Again we see God using His loyal children to reach the mind of King Nebuchadnezzar. Here Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refused to bow in worship to the 90' tall statue the King had set up even though the penalty was "...Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace." (v.6) They would follow their God wherever they were led and not defile themselves with foreign idols and as they say, "...If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." (v.17,18) Even if He does not! They were willing to go to their death before submitting to the King! As you know in verses 24-27 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego are saved by and angel sent from God. We again see King Neb falling praising the God of Jacob.

Man, I'm worried that I might lose a few friends, tick off a family member or even lose my job? No comparison but that's what goes through my mind when issues of my spirituality come about. How would I react if I was facing death? If I was that Korean missionary that was beat to death for not converting to Islam? I have to learn to be strong in my faith so the message I pass on to my children is a message of boldness. Only that will keep them on the path as they grow older.

Lord, tattoo the names Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego on my heart so that in any situation I find myself in I will have their story with me along with Your strength.

No comments: