8/28/07 - Life Journal - Ephesians and Nicolaitans


I know your deeds and your toil and perserverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perserverance and have endured for my names sake, and have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
Revelation 2:2-4

Yet this you do have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Revelation 2:6


In His message to the church at Ephesus, Jesus praised their steadfastness in testing anyone that comes in the name of the Lord and that they have indeed flushed out some false prophets. That's awesome, but then He chastises them for leaving their first love. In browbeating anyone and everyone proclaiming their allegiance to Christ they have lost the joy they had themselves when they first came to believe and were now bordering on a Pharisaical self-righteousness.

Jesus then goes on to mention the Nicolaitans in what at first seems to be a verse of no consequence. The thing is, this small nugget has as much weight as vs.2-4 when applied to todays church. The Nicolaitans were a heretical sect that taught that spiritual liberty gave them sufficient leeway to practice idolatry and immorality. This sounds like a lot of people today that grasp a hold of the "once saved, always saved" mindset and never stop to think about the stumbling blocks they are placing in front of new Christ followers or the hypocritical image they are presenting to the community.

So it looks like Ephesus had it's very own Apprising Ministries and Emergent Village!

For some reason I believe God wants us somewhere in the middle. We need to live as it is outlined for us in the bible without becoming legalistic in our missional life, while at the same time not losing ourselves in the sub-cultures we are trying to reach.

Lord, I pray that I'll be faithful in study and prayer so I'll know how to be a better follower of your Son and a shepherd to His flock.

9 comments:

Ken Silva said...

"now bordering on a Pharisaical self-righteousness."

Chris, I commend you for your self-confession here. And know that I forgive you for placing Apprising Ministries among those who "have lost the joy they had themselves when they first came to believe" in your self-righteousness.

You see, the truth is I've never been more joyful in the Lord as I do what He's asked me to; stand among those Christ as asked to defend His Gospel in this time of apostasy where the love of most is growing cold:

"I know your deeds Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name."

A word to the ming of the worship drummer from the mind of one of Christ's pastor-teachers, you'd be wise to stay out of things that don't concern you.

Drummer Chris said...

First of all "brother", I never placed myself as being above reproach with any of my statements and if you read anything else on my blog you'd see that. Of course this was the only one that mentioned your ministry.

Secondly, your rhetoric comes across as being filled with so much anger I can't possible imagine any joy being involved. More like the evil fulfillment of a kid pulling off the wings of a housefly.

As far as being a time of apostasy, if someone turns away from Jesus Christ, he wasn't a true follower or keeper of the word in the first place. So with that in mind, it is more correct to say that these times are filled more than ever with the unsaved. How is your condescension and grand-standing going to help lead these lambs to the word you are so vigorously defending?

One more thing, should I stay out of this because I'm just a lowly disciple? Not yet climbed the ranks to one of 'Christ's pastor-teachers'? That last little stab you threw in at the end shows just how far over the edge you've gone.

'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'

Adam Mayfield said...

Ken,

Could you define pastor? What do you mean by that? A pastor to who? I have tried to do research on your church, but can find no details about it.

Just curious who this great "pastor-teacher(s)" is and who his flock is.

Ken Silva said...

I've done what I can gentlemen and in my opinion you just don't get it.

And Adam *tsk tsk* now Chris the worship drummer will have to rebuke you: "That last little stab you threw in at the end shows just how far over the edge you've gone."

Drummer Chris said...

Ken,

Thank you for your brevity in using sarcasm in lieu of an actual response.

Adam Mayfield said...

Ken,

You are a very unique man, it seems like I haven't seen someone dodge questions so much since the last political debate. I tried to get you to answer a few questions on my blog as well, but as usual no answers. I am not against you, I am trying to allow you to express yourself and answer questions, so I will re-word my last question for clarity.

Who are you a Pastor of?
Where does your gathering meet? How many people attend your gathering?
How long has your church been in existence?
Do you have other staff that work with you?

Shawn's Journey said...

yea ken,

you do seem to do an awful lot of question dodging. Is it insecurity? Do you find the need to hid behind an "e-mask" if you will? One thing I do find so encouraging in Paul, a true Pastor-Teacher, was his willingness to call sin sin, and to answer the questions of his Apostolic legitimacy. You seem unable to openly confront and answer such questions. I am not trying to be mean-spirited in saying this, as you have with your first comment, but they do have some great Christian counselors out there. It just seems like you have some real fleshly issues to work out. I know I have some, I just think you should really stop and check yourself. It helped me. Listen to the Spirit, let Him correct you. The self-righteousness that seeps from your words is disheartening . Chris' assessment of you being like a Pharisee has credence; you seem to have so much Biblical knowledge, but spew self-righteous hatred.
Seek the Spirit, ask Him to check you. I'm not calling into question your salvation, as you have done on your site (which I have addressed on my blog,) but I do think that addressing these apparent issues would go along way. You know, kinda make sure your not a white-washed tomb, or apart of a den of vipers. Anyways, may the Lord be glorified, that's all of our ultimate goal right? Just hope we're all doing our part, that's all.

Shawn's Journey said...

Ken,

I'm here for you brother. I really hope you see my heart in this! Just brother-to-brother talk.

Drummer Chris said...

Seriously Ken, after reading your latest blog on Appraising.org titled "JESUS SAYS THAT CHILDREN OF THE DEVIL DO WHAT THEIR FATHER DOES – TELL PEOPLE LIES" I agree with Shawn. Christian counseling has helped a lot of people.

Maybe we could all meet somewhere and talk this out, brother to brother (or sister if you want to bring Ingrid along)