8/21/07 - Life Journal - My Purpose


I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the LORD has done.
Psalm 118:17


Some interpreters attribute Psalm 118 to the Jews after they are led out of exile in Babylon at the dedication of the second temple. It is a hymn of thanksgiving. The Lord has delivered the people from their enemies and they were praising him in song.

This is just as relevant now. I, and everyone saved by His grace and the sacrifice of His son, should raise our voices in praise and thankfulness for His wonderful gift. He has delivered us from our sins and protects us from our enemies. He has promised us a new Jerusalem. We stumble along in our lives not taking the time to see everything He has done for us. We should wake every morning with the words from v.24 on our lips, "This is the day that the Lord has made, Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

My every breath is a blessing. Why am I so ungrateful. I need to take the time to see the blessings all around me and spend quiet time giving thanks to the One who makes it all possible. As a worship leader, I, and all my brothers and sisters in this ministry, need to take more time searching the lyrics of our songs for truth, making sure they are honoring Him and not showcasing us and not just the current "hit" song.

No comments: