Alan Hirsch

A group of us from Journey went to the NNCC in Orlando last week. It was my first exposure to Alan Hirsch and it was awesome. Below are just a few things that stuck in my mind. (Actually, my memory is not that good, I took notes)

The GIFT of Persecution - Wipes out the theology and simpifies the message.

Christianity - Christ = Religion

The Jesus movement of the 60's and 70's was killed by being institutionalized. We must return to Christ to rediscover ourselves. In modern terms, we have to RECALIBRATE.

Christology (Teachings of Jesus) > Missiology (defining our mission) > Ecclesiology (the church institution)
It must go in that order! You can't start a church anywhere unless your mission is clearly defined for that area. In other words, "OUR MISSION HAS A CHURCH MINISTRY".

Church is the people, not the building. We've trapped Jesus in a stained glass prison!

Do you find you are stuck in the circle of middle class consumerism? Go back to Jesus and he'll kick it's materialistic butt!

You can't make anything change just by doing the same things better.

------------------------------------------------------------
Which is your Jesus?

Spooky Icon Jesus: overdivinized, not human, raised to lofty heights so a mediator (priest) is needed

Buddy Jesus: The one of Jesus is my Homeboy fame, under divinized

Middle Class Jesus: Fluffy, clear complected, blue eyed Jesus of Sunday School, aka "American Jesus"

The Jesus of the Gospel: Revolutionary, does not = religion, God in human form, no mediation necessary


I have to get his book, "The Forgotten Ways" from Pastor Adam! It'll take him too long to read, I can't wait.

5 comments:

Alan Hirsch said...

Hey Chris, thanks tons for the thumbs up for the book and the input at the Conference. It was a buzz eh?

Take care but be wild.

Alan Hirsch

Shawn's Journey said...

you forgot "down the gurgler"

I also have "the shaping of things to come if you want to read it.

Drummer Chris said...

Ah yes, the gurgler.

Adam Mayfield said...

Alan was incredible......he posted on your blog, maybe that makes you incredible as well.

Remind me and I will bring the book to you.

Drummer Chris said...

I'm just glad he didn't correct me.